Killer leg session today. I had what I refer to as a “whitey” – all the colour draining from your face and starting to cough as if you are going to be sick. I powered through the calf sets at the end before getting the only cure: food. In the shape of a chocmint promax shake with carb impact. Good session though; legs feel empty now and I’ve eaten my bodyweight in food it feels like. Cheeky audition afterwards where I saw Roger Snipes (of PhD) and Joel Hicks (of Reflex) there as well.
Session looked like:
Warm-up: hip and knee mobility. Light squats.
- Back Squats. 12-15reps. 3030. 3sets. Last set rest/pause sets x 2 to failure.
- Split front squats. 10-12reps. 3030. 3sets. Last set rest/pause sets x 2 to failure.
- Leg press. 12-15reps. 3030. 3sets. Last set 2 x dropsets (20-30%) to failure.
- Leg curl. 12-15reps. 3030. 3sets. Last set 2 x dropsers (20-30%) to failure. (It was at this point that I was feeling pretty rough!)
- Seated calf raise. 10-12reps. 3030. 3sets. Last set rest/pause x 2 to failure.
I had to finish at that point, though the plan was calf raise on the leg ext too. However, with an audition to get to I needed to get my body feeling right. All good after a shake and a meal of sweet potato, chicken and spinach. Just nailed a huge chili con carne and rice too. I think the reason it hit me so bad today, was the few days rest and the fact that I actively tried to push another rep or two to really hit failure. Hurts, but it makes all the difference.