On Thursday Ped and I teamed up for the 5th session of his 10 week transformation. After a full rest-day on Wednesday, he was raring to go. However, some good time spent on the roller, trying to use myofascial release to ease some of the aches in his muscles, had put a bit of pressure on Ped’s shoulders. Not a problem, we were doing legs anyway!
As always Ped put in max effort. We had a few times where the mind wanted to stop even though the body was probably still cable during some of the dropsets. Completely expected at this stage as Ped gets used to what his body can do and more importantly what his mind can take. As with physical training for Marine recruits, I try to ensure anyone I help with a fitness goal improves mentally as well as physically, as at the end of the day, the mind is our most powerful tool.
Anyway, improvements in each session so we are definitely headed in the right direction. I’m happy that all the relevant techniques are there or thereabouts allowing us to get down to some real hard training.
The session looked like:
Mobility and dynamic stretches for the legs.
- Squats, warm-up sets then 50kg for 4 sets of 10reps with 2 x dropsets of 40kg & 30kg both to failure.
- Leg press, we used lighter sets to warm-up to the working weight: 45kg, 65kg, 70kg, 75kg all for 12reps. Then 80kg for 10 reps and 2 x dropsets 60kg & 50kg to failure.
- Single leg leg press 15kg for 10reps each leg 1 set, 17.5kg 8reps each leg 2 sets.
- Glute bridge 50kg 8reps 3sets with 10sec rest/pause sets x 2 to failure for last set
- Leg curl 3sets 10reps: 25kg, 35kg, 25kg.
Leg ext 3sets 10reps: 35kg, 45kg, 50kg.
- Finisher: Supersets of
- TRX jump squats 20reps
- Walking bodyweight lunges 14reps.
Ped’s leg were understandably like jelly when we finished. It was certainly the hardest session so far and allowed Ped to see the intensity we are going to need to get him to where he’d like to be in 8 weeks time.
Despite the difficulty of the session, Ped admitted that it was also the most fulfilling. A really good sign, Ped is going to relish this tough session which will make my job and his journey that much more enjoyable!