The second day of the 8×8 style training I’m following saw my shoulders being attacked. Again, my weight selection was very modest, however the short 30seconds rest coupled with a slow tempo of 3030 in which I really concentrated on feeling every rep put my delts under tension meant I was in agony throughout. If you have trouble “feeling” the correct muscles working, I think Gironda’s 8x8s is a great way to train. It stops you lifting with your ego and choosing huge weights that you then lift with bad form of without “feeling” the correct muscles working. Furthermore, the short rest times mean much like rest/pause sets, the working muscles are already burning so you can really tell which muscles are doing the work and whether the right muscles for you are performing.
My session looked like this:
Warm-up: shoulder mobility, light db overhead press.
- Seated dumbbell overhead press. 8 sets, 8reps, 30sec rest. 3030
- Reverse cable flyes. 8 sets, 8reps, 30sec rest. 3030
- Seated incline lateral raise. 8 sets, 8reps, 30sec rest. 3030
- Front disc raise. 8 sets, 8reps, 30sec rest. 3030
- Military Bradford press. 8 sets, 8reps, 30sec rest. 3030