Today was a leg session on my current programme. I was training with a client on Sunday and he looked around the gym and said “there are only two people training legs in this entire gym”. There were 30+ people training. I know it’s been said before, but leg training is the foundation (literally) on which a decent physique and healthy body are made. I make sure you hit legs at least once a week, usually every 5 or 6 days. Try to make sure you do the same.
We didn’t manage to get to the gym until almost 5pm so I expected the squat rack to be occupied and a queue waiting. However, luck was on our side and the rack was free. I’m not sure if it was the heat in the gym, the couple of night broken sleep I’ve had recently (new puppy!) or the session was just tough, but I sweated buckets and feel shattered now.
The session looked like:
Warm-up: mobilisation: leg swings, bodyweight squats, light squats working up to working weight.
- 1a. Back squat. 10-12reps. 3030. 4sets
- 1b. Front squats (half weight used for back squat). 8-10reps. 3030. 4sets
- 2. Barbell split squats. 8-10reps. 3030. 4sets each leg.
- 3a. Leg press. 10-12reps. 3030. 3sets.
- 3b. Calf raise leg press. 10-12reps. 3030. 3sets. Last set 2 x rest/pause sets to failure.